Member Panel

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Recent Topics

Movies that could be related to this 'pandemic'
by CountOrlok
[Yesterday at 09:54:46 PM]
House of Flesh Mannequins
by Hemwick
[Yesterday at 07:04:09 PM]
Post The Last Movie You Watched
by CountOrlok
[Yesterday at 02:13:13 AM]
Unearthed Films Releases
by woodenheart
[August 11, 2020, 09:20:43 PM]
Sadistic Cinema
by woodenheart
[August 11, 2020, 09:16:49 PM]
Women of the Underground
by woodenheart
[August 11, 2020, 09:12:09 PM]
Cruiser (extreme found footage w/ Broadway star as killer)
by DxDerailed
[August 09, 2020, 04:34:44 PM]
Vore Gore (extreme horror anthology)
by Savagery Keith
[August 08, 2020, 11:35:08 AM]
What are the greatest sex scenes in all of world cinema?
by SymmetricShivers
[August 07, 2020, 05:45:58 AM]
Army of Darkness (1992)
by CountOrlok
[August 01, 2020, 12:04:36 AM]
Favourite Star Wars 'rip-offs'
by CountOrlok
[July 31, 2020, 11:59:58 PM]
Rocky or Rambo?
by CountOrlok
[July 31, 2020, 11:44:02 PM]
What About Bob? (1991)
by CountOrlok
[July 31, 2020, 11:33:48 PM]
Newest Blu-Ray/DVD/VHS You Have Bought?
by Savagery Keith
[July 23, 2020, 06:07:22 PM]
Movies based on video games
by CountOrlok
[July 19, 2020, 08:14:18 PM]

Author Topic: The Hammer Thread  (Read 24853 times)

Offline CountOrlok

• EHC Moderator
  • Demented
Re: The Hammer Thread
« Reply #15 on: August 12, 2013, 10:08:29 AM »
I've heard of that book..  They certainly had one of most gorgeous collection of ladies I have ever seen.

Offline I_Drink_Your_Blood

• Baron Blood
  • Depraved
  • Drinking your blood since '83
« Reply #16 on: August 12, 2013, 10:18:35 AM »
I've heard of that book..  They certainly had one of most gorgeous collection of ladies I have ever seen.

It's a decent read - lots of interesting stuff in there.

Offline CountOrlok

• EHC Moderator
  • Demented
« Reply #17 on: August 13, 2013, 10:09:09 PM »
Gorgeous and classy, but not trashy.  Not like modern MTV models they use for every horror film these days.  Ones that can't act and emote like a piece of wood.

Dr Jekyll and Sister Hyde tonight.... maybe Kiss of the Vampire as well.  8)

Offline CountOrlok

• EHC Moderator
  • Demented
« Reply #18 on: August 14, 2013, 10:26:59 PM »
Dr Jekyll and Sister Hyde - this combines the Jekyll/Hyde tale with Jack with the Ripper, except Hyde/the evil version is a seductive woman. Pretty fun and entertaining Hammer horror flick. 8/10

Kiss of the Vampire - after an awesome opening, this is mainly a slow-burner, but it builds atmosphere and the score by James Bernard is like his Horror of Dracula score.. Not much vampire action, though, and no nudity so extremely tame but still a very well done vampire film. 7/10

Next up:  Frankenstein Created Woman and Vampire Circus  :yes:

• Baron Blood
  • Depraved
« Reply #19 on: August 14, 2013, 10:54:57 PM »
Dr Jekyll and Sister Hyde - this combines the Jekyll/Hyde tale with Jack with the Ripper, except Hyde/the evil version is a seductive woman. Pretty fun and entertaining Hammer horror flick. 8/10

I'm glad you enjoyed this one, as it's a bit of a favourite of mine in some respects. It has a kind of 'Hammer meets exploitation' vibe to it that I find fascinating.

Kiss of the Vampire - after an awesome opening, this is mainly a slow-burner, but it builds atmosphere and the score by James Bernard is like his Horror of Dracula score.. Not much vampire action, though, and no nudity so extremely tame but still a very well done vampire film. 7/10

One of the few Hammer films that I've yet to see. I need to remedy this in the near future.

Next up:  Frankenstein Created Woman and Vampire Circus  :yes:

Frankenstein Created Woman is regarded as one of the best films amongst Hammer's varied Frankenstein cycle. There is a thread about it on here too.

Vampire Circus, whilst not generally considered a Hammer great, is one I really enjoy and which always manages to entertain me.

Hopefully you will enjoy them both.  :yes:

Offline CountOrlok

• EHC Moderator
  • Demented
« Reply #20 on: August 15, 2013, 12:37:23 AM »
Vampire Circus has 80% on rotten tomatoes.  It's supposed to be one of the greats but we'll see.  Basically, I just want to have fun... like with Lust for a Vampire (which is considered the weakest entry in the Karnstein trilogy), which I had a lot of fun with despite the low rating.

Offline Darkgod

• Twisted
    • UHM
« Reply #21 on: August 16, 2013, 08:39:34 AM »
Vampire circus is pretty good... a little campy at times, but still solid
I Respect when someone has their own opinion, but you look like a fool when you just copy some one elses opinion. You know who you are.

Offline CountOrlok

• EHC Moderator
  • Demented
« Reply #22 on: August 16, 2013, 11:03:46 PM »
Vampire Circus was a little too campy for me, and the plot and characters were barebones, just a vampire revenge tale pretty much.  Was interesting to see Lalla Ward play a vampire.. and Dave Prowse aka Darth Vader as a circus strongman.  The circus stuff was a little left field.. a midget clown wtf?  A half-panther, half-vampire?..  Still watchable, though.  6/10

Frankenstein Created Woman was better, much more interesting story.. Frankenstein is a little more sympathetic here, while in the original he was more cold and ruthless.  The cast did a great job.  I would say I like this better than the original.. 8/10

Offline CountOrlok

• EHC Moderator
  • Demented
« Reply #23 on: August 18, 2013, 02:05:57 AM »
Next up is Frankenstein and the Monster from Hell and Plague of the Zombies.. [e]150[/e]

• Baron Blood
  • Depraved
« Reply #24 on: August 18, 2013, 06:53:03 PM »
Vampire Circus was a little too campy for me, and the plot and characters were barebones, just a vampire revenge tale pretty much.  Was interesting to see Lalla Ward play a vampire.. and Dave Prowse aka Darth Vader as a circus strongman.  The circus stuff was a little left field.. a midget clown wtf?  A half-panther, half-vampire?..  Still watchable, though.  6/10

Frankenstein Created Woman was better, much more interesting story.. Frankenstein is a little more sympathetic here, while in the original he was more cold and ruthless.  The cast did a great job.  I would say I like this better than the original.. 8/10

Vampire Circus is certainly campy, but it's one I really enjoy. Not so much for the fact that it is a great film (which it clearly isn't), but because it is so unconventional yet entertaining.

The cast are great in Frankenstein Created Woman, and I too prefer it to the original (Curse) - this is mainly due to me thinking that Lee's talents stretched further than playing the monster, though. ;) Revenge is possibly my favourite Hammer Frankenstein film.

Next up is Frankenstein and the Monster from Hell and Plague of the Zombies.. [e]150[/e]

Both Frankenstein and the Monster from Hell and The Plague of Zombies (Zombies in particular) are personal favourites, so I hope that you enjoy them.  :yes:

Offline CountOrlok

• EHC Moderator
  • Demented
« Reply #25 on: August 20, 2013, 07:48:38 AM »
Plague of the Zombies - an interesting early zombie film, I only wish that there was a bit more zombie action.  This sequence, in particular, absolutely badass:

^I wish there was more of that in the film.  Nevertheless, it was a good 'voodoo zombie' film and I have to respect it's classic status.  (I love voodoo zombies, particularly that in White Zombie, Lucio Fulci's Zombie and Serpent and the Rainbow).

Frankenstein and the Monster from Hell - another good entry in Hammer's Frankenstein series.  Loved Peter Cushing, Patrick Troughton (in a nice cameo), Madeleine Smith (who was in Vampire Lovers) and David Prowse as the Monster.  A bit more gore this time around which is nice to see.  And going by the ending it sounds like there could have been a sequel.. oh well.

I think I'll take a break from Hammer for a little bit, because I have other movies to catch up on.  :nerdystraight:

Offline Necromancer

• Twisted
« Reply #26 on: August 20, 2013, 10:18:48 PM »
I liked the Hammer films, but loved the Amicus films more..... especially the anthologies
With malice toward none, with charity for all

Offline CountOrlok

• EHC Moderator
  • Demented
« Reply #27 on: August 23, 2013, 05:12:57 AM »
Hands of the Ripper (1971)

Holy shit, this is the best Jack the Ripper movie I have ever seen.  Just a very intense plot that draws you in.  No campiness, just straight up drama/thriller, with the murder scenes pulling no punches.  Great ending as well.  8/10

Offline CountOrlok

• EHC Moderator
  • Demented
« Reply #28 on: August 26, 2013, 12:43:16 AM »
Saw 3 Hammer films yesterday:  The Reptile, Countess Dracula and Brides of Dracula.

Brides of Dracula is definitely my favourite of the lot.  Classic.

Countess Dracula seems more like a historical drama than a horror.  Still good, though.  Great performance by Ingrid Pitt but I think her voice was dubbed.

The Reptile is another classic Hammer.

Offline CountOrlok

• EHC Moderator
  • Demented
« Reply #29 on: September 03, 2013, 11:21:18 PM »
The Mummy :dream:

Extremely awesome!