Member Panel

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Recent Topics

Most Recent TV Show You Watched
by woodenheart
[Yesterday at 08:21:42 PM]
Post The Last Movie You Watched
by CountOrlok
[Yesterday at 07:35:19 PM]
Newest Blu-Ray/DVD/VHS You Have Bought?
by Mr. Awesome
[December 13, 2019, 10:06:48 PM]
Trailer Dump
by CountOrlok
[December 11, 2019, 03:15:00 PM]
Uncut Gems {2019}
by woodenheart
[December 10, 2019, 04:46:51 PM]
One Must Fall {2019}
by General Ox
[December 10, 2019, 03:37:39 AM]
This Is Our Home {2019}
by woodenheart
[December 07, 2019, 10:24:17 PM]
WOW! Blackest Heart: A German Chainsaw massacre
by splat
[December 07, 2019, 09:04:30 AM]
A Nun's Curse {2019}
by woodenheart
[December 03, 2019, 01:16:57 PM]
Deep Web XXX ~ PRE ORDER UP ON 9/30/19
by woodenheart
[December 03, 2019, 08:16:54 AM]
Hunters {2020 -}
by Seikotik
[November 30, 2019, 10:29:31 PM]
The Nightingale
by woodenheart
[November 30, 2019, 08:29:29 AM]
Unearthed Films Releases
by woodenheart
[November 30, 2019, 03:06:29 AM]
Extreme Horror and rape.
by CountOrlok
[November 29, 2019, 10:30:57 PM]
Blood Bags {2018}
by woodenheart
[November 29, 2019, 11:06:42 AM]

Author Topic: Films from Austria  (Read 1267 times)

Offline dobermann65

• Twisted
    • Cerebral film
Films from Austria
« on: July 22, 2019, 11:25:18 AM »
MICHAEL

In this thread I want to introduce you to movies from my home country Austria. When it comes to horror movies unfortunately there isn’t really that much we have to offer, but still there’s some hidden gems to be discovered. Let’s start with a really sick film. Sick not in the sense of blood and gore, by psychologically. It was a film that left me speechless, especially since two similar cases (Josef Fritzl and the abduction of Natascha Kampusch) happened here. It’s not easy to stomach and a topic that doesn’t leave you untouched.

What it is about:

35 year old insurance employee Michael keeps the 10 year old Wolfgang locked up in his basement. He abuses the child and imitates a happy family life with him. The watch TV and even go to the zoo together. To outsiders they seem to be father and son and Wolfgang seems to have resigned to his situation. The pedophile climbs up the corporate ladder in the insurance company. But then the situation gets out of control when the victim starts to act up and rebel.

Release date: September 2nd 2011 (Austria)
Directed by: Markus Schleinzer

Offline Hemwick

• Fear The Old Blood.
  • Twisted
  • In Crust I Trust.
Re: Films from Austria
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2019, 07:24:17 PM »
I need to see this.  Sounds fantastic.  Keep them coming please

Offline CountOrlok

• EHC Moderator
  • Demented
« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2019, 09:29:14 PM »
It's too bad they haven't yet made a proper movie about the Josef Fritzl case.  That's some of the most fucked up shit.

Offline dobermann65

• Twisted
    • Cerebral film
« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2019, 03:14:17 PM »
A movie about josef fritzl is planed here in austria.This bastard lives here in my neighberhood in jail.
I heard he is dementia.

AUF BÖSEN BODEN
                                                            (On evil ground)

Romeo and Juliet - a couple that has a very odd perception of their relationship. They decide to buy a loft situated in a run-down factory. Somenone already lives there. The deranged owner of the factory, and his buddy, the real-estate agent, have been living an exciting life of capturing and torturing young and innocent couples. Too bad Romeo and Juliet are everything but docile victims!

A 2007
GENRE Slasher-Grotesqueness
LENGTH 82 Min
Director: PETER KOLLER

Offline CountOrlok

• EHC Moderator
  • Demented
« Reply #4 on: July 23, 2019, 06:49:52 PM »
^Only way I can find to see that is to order it off Ebay.

Thanks for telling us about these.  I am a big fan of European films, haven't seen much from Austria though.  Everybody knows Angst, which is a masterpiece.  There's Funny Games as well, which got an American remake.

As for Josef Fritzl:

Offline dobermann65

• Twisted
    • Cerebral film
« Reply #5 on: July 24, 2019, 02:59:41 PM »
Angst

Yes, “Angst” is my favourite movie from Austria. Unfortunately it is really unknown and not highly praised here. Erwil Leder, the main actor, lives here in my neighborhood and I can tell you a little bit about him. He also acted in movies like “Schindler’s List” and “Das Boot” and had the chance to make it in Hollywood. But he decided to move back to Austria after his wife died and he became as single father as he didn’t want his children to have to move to and adapt to a new country. He’s now acting in theaters and theater festivals and is very keen on supporting the local short and independent/underground movie makers. He’s a guest of honor and jury member of short film festivals and I was especially honored that he handed me two awards for my short movies.

Concerning “Angst”, it is based on a true story, a real crime that happened here. The murderer Werner Kniesek tortured and killed a family of three the day he was released from prison after serving a sentence for trying to kill his mother, several counts of burglary and shooting an old lady for no reason. The film is thereby very true to the original story and Werner Kniesek is one of the most infamous Austrian killers and psychopaths there are.

What is special about the movie is the avant garde camera work of Zbigniew Rybaczyński, who won an Academy Award the same year for the best animated short movie. There were special technical supports for the cameras and a quite expensive system of mirrors to create strange perspectives. By this, the viewer sees very spectacular pictures right at the very beginning when the murderer is released from prison. For the fast and  long camera movements in the forest, they worked with complicated systems of ropes. To keep the murderer in focus while showing a sense of isolation from his surroundings, there was a ring-shaped hand camera mount tied around the actor Erwin Leder.

The film has been privately financed and got no financial support from public offices. Its budget was only Euro 400,000.- (equivalent to US$ 450,000.-).

You can wath the trailer (with English subtitles) on youtube:

Here’s a a picture of Erwin Leder and me, of the movie “Angst” and one of the real murderer Werner Kniesek.

Offline CountOrlok

• EHC Moderator
  • Demented
« Reply #6 on: July 24, 2019, 05:24:20 PM »
Well I want to give Angst a rewatch now, it's one of the bleakest films I've ever seen. 

Erwin Leder is also in Underworld:

Would never have recognised him if I didn't look it up on IMDB.

Offline Rifkin

• Twisted
« Reply #7 on: July 25, 2019, 07:14:25 PM »
Obviously from a true crime and horror buff perspective "Angst" is one of my favorites and excellent and realistic depiction of a killer. I wonder though as much as I love this one...how a remake or something that borrows much of the material in it would do today. As long as they stick to much of the original...maybe just more vicious kills and add a few more. The lead would have to be perfect(or near so though)

As for Austria I have to say I haven't seen many over the years but hopefully will correct that in time.

Offline dobermann65

• Twisted
    • Cerebral film
« Reply #8 on: July 27, 2019, 10:27:27 AM »
After "Angst" my second favorite movie. A very disturbing movie

GOODNIGHT MOMMY
                                                                              "Ich seh ich seh"

In the heat of the summer. A lonesome house in the countryside between woods and corn fields. Nine-year-old twin brothers are waiting for their mother. When she comes home, bandaged after cosmetic surgery, nothing is like before. The children start to doubt that this woman is actually their mother. It emerges an existential struggle for identity and fundamental trust.
Directed By:
Veronika Franz, Severin Fiala
Written By:
Severin Fiala, Veronika Franz
Austria  2015

Offline dobermann65

• Twisted
    • Cerebral film
« Reply #9 on: August 08, 2019, 06:27:31 AM »
                                            THE DARK

The Dark is a 2018 Austrian horror feature film directed by Justin P. Lange and Klemens Hufnagl, based on a screenplay by Lange and their 2013 short of the same name. The movie stars Nadia Alexander, Toby Nichols, Karl Markovics, Margarete Tiesel, Dylan Trowbridge and Chris Farquhar.

Offline CountOrlok

• EHC Moderator
  • Demented
« Reply #10 on: August 08, 2019, 08:58:25 AM »
Eh, why is it in English?  I thought they spoke German in Austria.  Maybe to sell it overseas, but I much prefer to hear it in its native language, even if I have to read subtitles.

And are they putting on fake American accents?  :cantlook:   That annoys me, they do that in Australia too, make films for Americans, having Australians fake American accents.

Offline dobermann65

• Twisted
    • Cerebral film
« Reply #11 on: September 07, 2019, 09:51:22 AM »
BENNYS VIDEO
A 14-year-old video enthusiast is so caught up in film fantasy that he can no longer relate to the real world, to such an extent that he commits murder and records an on-camera confession for his parents.

In my eyes a realy disturbing movie. (Full movie is available on youtube with english subs!!)

Director: Michael Haneke
Writer: Michael Haneke

Offline woodenheart

• Shy. Sick. Depraved.
  • Administrator
  • Gore Master
  • 病気の
« Reply #12 on: September 07, 2019, 11:44:23 AM »
Excellent film, disturbing indeed. I own the DVD.  :red_heart:

Offline dobermann65

• Twisted
    • Cerebral film
« Reply #13 on: September 11, 2019, 02:40:29 PM »
                                             BLUTGLETSCHER (Blood glacier) 2014

Scientists working in the Austrian Alps discover that a glacier is leaking a liquid that appears to be affecting local wildlife.
Austria isn't really famous for horror flicks but this movie is actually quite good. However it reminds me a little of John Carpenter's "the thing". The locations are especially beautiful.

Director: Marvin Kren
Drehbuch   Benjamin Hessler
Produktion   Helmut Grasser