Member Panel

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Recent Topics

Post The Last Movie You Watched
by Hemwick
[Yesterday at 09:32:15 PM]
black lava entertainment
by Splat
[July 09, 2020, 09:27:35 AM]
Green Hell (2019)
by SamHel
[July 09, 2020, 02:42:59 AM]
Unearthed Films
by Splat
[July 07, 2020, 05:20:37 PM]
Newest Blu-Ray/DVD/VHS You Have Bought?
by Splat
[July 05, 2020, 10:03:42 PM]
Sadako (2019)
by CountOrlok
[July 05, 2020, 06:42:34 PM]
Burial Ground: The Nights of Terror (1981)
by CountOrlok
[July 02, 2020, 03:40:09 AM]
House of Flesh Mannequins
by woodenheart
[June 30, 2020, 04:28:34 AM]
Movies based on video games
by Hemwick
[June 29, 2020, 07:52:25 PM]
Sadistic Cinema
by woodenheart
[June 29, 2020, 03:43:08 PM]
...And Then I Helped (1976)
by Hemwick
[June 27, 2020, 03:48:03 PM]
~ Kill List (2011) ~
by Splat
[June 26, 2020, 11:00:48 PM]
Random VanBebber
by woodenheart
[June 24, 2020, 06:25:13 PM]

Author Topic: Beneath the Black Veil ~ Jason Koch  (Read 1194 times)

Offline woodenheart

• Shy. Sick. Depraved.
  • Administrator
  • Gore Master
  • 病気の
Beneath the Black Veil ~ Jason Koch
« on: August 01, 2019, 08:30:10 PM »
Beneath the Black Veil

After losing their child in a horrific accident, Aaron and Genna's once idyllic life is turned upside down. They begin to question how a loving God could take their little boy from them. Desperate to seek revenge against God, they begin to break each of the ten commandments. But their desire for vengeance will be bittersweet.

Director: Jason M. Koch

Writers: Stephen Biro (original story), Jason M. Koch (Screenplay)

Offline Splat

• mentalheadtraumafilms
  • Administrator
  • Gore Master
  • hello sick deviant fucks
Re: Beneath the Black Veil ~ Jason Koch
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2019, 10:32:07 PM »
Fuck yeah...Jason Koch can do no wrong, this will be awesome as fuck!

Wonder if there any crossover with 7Th Day as the fella at the bottom looks like The Reporter entity from that   :thinking:

Offline woodenheart

• Shy. Sick. Depraved.
  • Administrator
  • Gore Master
  • 病気の
« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2019, 03:59:54 AM »
It may, he was tagging people with the pictures on the FB page. He tagged the 7th Day page on that last picture. I'm not sure how it's gonna fit together.

Offline woodenheart

• Shy. Sick. Depraved.
  • Administrator
  • Gore Master
  • 病気の
« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2020, 08:48:22 AM »

Offline woodenheart

• Shy. Sick. Depraved.
  • Administrator
  • Gore Master
  • 病気の
« Reply #4 on: April 30, 2020, 08:54:18 AM »
EHC member, Bacon Kractor, saw this last night. Maybe he will chime in and comment.

Offline bacon kractor

• Twisted
« Reply #5 on: April 30, 2020, 05:34:22 PM »
I did indeed have the chance to check out the film, started it last night and got about halfway through before Vimeo decided to take a big internet shit break on me heh

Thankfully I was able to finish the film this morning with my first coffee

It is ... a very different film than either 7th Day or Pig Pen. Things move at a very slow, deliberate pace which I think really suits the material the film covers. This is heavy stuff, dealing with topics of loss, grief, faith, revenge, etc. By the end of the film there's almost a thickness to the atmosphere that I quite enjoyed. Having said that, there are some definite moments of dark humor all over the place if you're paying attention. I actually wound up spitting water all over my monitor at one point.

Coming from Jason you would expect the effects work to be top notch, and it is. You will not, however, get the bloodbath of 7th Day or the grotesque set-pieces of Pig Pen. Nothing over the top, nothing that draws attention away from the story, nothing that looks at all out of place. Lots of subtle makeup effects, some *really* disgusting body horror elements nearer the end of the film as well.

I'll comment in particular on the acting of Michael Acosta, who plays the male lead, because I think his role was critical to the picture. His performance is incredibly subtle, relying almost entirely on facial expression and his voice. It would have been incredibly easy for that character to be played as, for lack of a better term, a wuss bitch. Instead, we get a performance that shows the character as a man about as broken by loss and grief as one CAN be without being completely shattered. If this character had not been played so well, most of what else happens in this film would have no solid counter-point to play off of. His wife's decent and damnation mean nothing unless you simultaneously see his erosion and eventual redemption (I'm reminded somewhat of the story of Job).

JD Brown turns in another unhinged performance, and as usual it's a treat to watch him work. He gets to share a short bit of screen time with someone you all might recognize from 7th Day *giggle* but that's all I'll say about either JD's role or how the other person fits in.

Definitely want to go back for a rewatch or two once they get actual copies availble, as I'm betting I've missed a bunch of stuff in the background (seriously, when you get a chance to see this *please* pay attention to the stuff in the background as well, some funny as hell little bits hidden in the details we usually ignore) but I very definitely enjoyed it ...

Offline Splat

• mentalheadtraumafilms
  • Administrator
  • Gore Master
  • hello sick deviant fucks
« Reply #6 on: April 30, 2020, 08:18:55 PM »
Awesome! Really keen to have my own experience but have to wait...alas Telstra is extra shitty than usually, why I haven't asked for the link.

Jason is a favourite filmmaker so so damned keen to see this! Alas will have to be on the round shiney frisby looking thing in time!