Member Panel

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Recent Topics

Most Recent TV Show You Watched
by Mayvmi
[Yesterday at 10:45:05 PM]
Post The Last Movie You Watched
by Mayvmi
[Yesterday at 10:41:15 PM]
This Is Our Home {2019}
by woodenheart
[December 07, 2019, 10:24:17 PM]
WOW! Blackest Heart: A German Chainsaw massacre
by splat
[December 07, 2019, 09:04:30 AM]
A Nun's Curse {2019}
by woodenheart
[December 03, 2019, 01:16:57 PM]
Deep Web XXX ~ PRE ORDER UP ON 9/30/19
by woodenheart
[December 03, 2019, 08:16:54 AM]
One Must Fall {2019}
by woodenheart
[December 03, 2019, 08:00:18 AM]
Newest Blu-Ray/DVD/VHS You Have Bought?
by Mr. Awesome
[December 01, 2019, 09:38:47 PM]
Hunters {2020 -}
by Seikotik
[November 30, 2019, 10:29:31 PM]
The Nightingale
by woodenheart
[November 30, 2019, 08:29:29 AM]
Unearthed Films Releases
by woodenheart
[November 30, 2019, 03:06:29 AM]
Extreme Horror and rape.
by CountOrlok
[November 29, 2019, 10:30:57 PM]
Blood Bags {2018}
by woodenheart
[November 29, 2019, 11:06:42 AM]
Unearthed Films
by woodenheart
[November 29, 2019, 06:09:39 AM]
Shriekshow {2020}
by woodenheart
[November 28, 2019, 05:32:41 AM]

Author Topic: Aspiring Filmmaker Here Looking For Help  (Read 11540 times)

Offline JethroClemson

• Mister Mental
  • Twisted
    • Tumblr and Horror Review Blog
Aspiring Filmmaker Here Looking For Help
« on: February 29, 2016, 02:03:42 PM »
First off, I'm sorry if this is in the wrong section. I don't want to put any of the mods or admins here through any trouble if they have to move it somewhere else. I'm also apologizing upfront if any of this sounds like it's all over the place. I'm not the most eloquent person out there when it comes to jotting my thoughts down. Anyway, here's what's going on.

I won't go into a whole lot of the details, but basically I introduced a good friend of mine (who is also an aspiring filmmaker who has already worked on some projects) and my partner (who is a makeup artist who has experience with photography) to a short film idea I had, and the two of them loved it. Fast forward to now and a rough draft for the script is about 55-60% done, and I'm hoping for us to get things in the pre-production stage by the summer or fall if all goes well. My buddy (the aforementioned one who will be co-directing this with me) said this will be the biggest project he's worked on to date, and said for this being my first project, it's super ambitious and it's going to be something great.

I also have a few questions and I'd be so grateful if anyone has advice:

1) While I don't know what our budget will be like, do you think it would be smarter to make our own gore or to patron a local butcher for some of the things we'd need? I'm all for actual viscera and guts being on the set, but I'm worried about storing them in a way to where we're not going to have to deal with the small of it going bad, and making sure nobody gets sick if they mess with them too much. If all else fails, I'm fine with making my own--but again, cost saving measures and wanting everything to be as realistic as we can get, even if this is going to be a short movie.

2) This is a more...unusual question, and if anyone has advice, then that's amazing. It goes back to wondering if turning to a butcher would be for the best. Without going into too many details to avoid potential spoilers, do you have advice on what's the closest thing to human meat that we'd be able to find? I always see pig carcasses being used in various science tests because of how close they are to us, but I'm wondering if that goes for passing as "the real thing". If this is the case, do you have recommendations or advice on specific cuts of meat?

That's all I really have for now. Thanks so much if anyone can help out.

- AJ
"There is no shelter for the weak." - Dr. Francis B. Gröss

Offline woodenheart

• Shy. Sick. Depraved.
  • Administrator
  • Gore Master
  • 病気の
Re: Aspiring Filmmaker Here Looking For Help
« Reply #1 on: February 29, 2016, 04:53:53 PM »
Oh WOOW! Best of luck! I hope you keep us posted on your progress and I am sure a filmmaker will stop in your thread to give you suggestions. Exciting times.. : )

Offline JethroClemson

• Mister Mental
  • Twisted
« Reply #2 on: February 29, 2016, 05:30:09 PM »
Thanks, and I will.  :azn:

I'm hoping once the script is finished, I'm able to pitch the idea to a really amazing person both me and my friend have had the honor of working with in the past. She's a terrific special effects artist who loves creepy, gory, and weird shit, so I'm sure this will be right up her alley. So that alone has me super excited to see what she has up her sleeve. While I'm not expecting to have a lot of luck here, I'm also sure it won't be too hard to pull some strings to get filming permits; with said friend having connections to people in the area, and I know the mayor (who, funny enough, used to be my karate instructor). That's going to be the fun part.

Offline A. Baez

• Twisted
  • suh
    • CAT 4 COLLECTIVE
« Reply #3 on: February 29, 2016, 06:55:33 PM »
Your shots is what sells the gore... if you want the fantasy german splatter thing then fake guts... you want this real in your face I recommend going to the butcher, unless you have the knowledge of making realistic things (again costly though). However, personally I'd ask your actors first what they prefer and work with it... with my short I wanted to use real entrails, but one of my actors was a vegan the other I think a vegetarian it wasn't worth it... It didn't NEED to be SUPER realistic. You want real and can do it, go with real... but it is messy, smells and I'd ask the butcher or whoever you buy it from how he/she stores it and just do the same...
Support Indie & Bizarre Horror

Offline splat

• mentalheadtraumafilms
  • Administrator
  • Gore Master
  • hello sick deviant fucks
« Reply #4 on: February 29, 2016, 07:43:14 PM »
This is the perfect place for your thread : )

As for the question of gore maybe pig is the way to go. As mentioned, in so many ways they are similar to us. From memory one filmmaker used lamb.

To me though pig seems to make sense.

Offline JethroClemson

• Mister Mental
  • Twisted
« Reply #5 on: February 29, 2016, 07:53:50 PM »
Thanks for the advice, guys. I'm pretty sure if all else fails, then the one tutorial I found might be the best option. The supplies are super cheap, and I'm sure I'd be able to make big batches of the stuff for maybe $20-25.

Here's a link to the video for what I had in mind. If you know of better ones, let me know:

Offline splat

• mentalheadtraumafilms
  • Administrator
  • Gore Master
  • hello sick deviant fucks
« Reply #6 on: February 29, 2016, 08:02:40 PM »
No worries, that is what we are here for.

As for effects as shown in the vid they don't need to be expensive. In the end it is about being creative with what you have or can spend the least amount from. Cheap effects can be just as good as pricey when applied creatively.

Hell, my throat cut wound in LUNG II is tissue paper and homemade fake blood.

Offline JethroClemson

• Mister Mental
  • Twisted
« Reply #7 on: February 29, 2016, 10:57:56 PM »
No worries, that is what we are here for.

As for effects as shown in the vid they don't need to be expensive. In the end it is about being creative with what you have or can spend the least amount from. Cheap effects can be just as good as pricey when applied creatively.

Hell, my throat cut wound in LUNG II is tissue paper and homemade fake blood.

You were in LUNG II? That's so cool! Oddly enough, I just saw Otoobach's review of it the other day and thought it was fantastic. Small world.

Personally, if you ask me, i would love to see you and some other recommended person in special effects dept to deal with gore factor.
Because its always a pleasuring and challenging experience to deal with two individuals ego and views in working on projects, and who knows, the result might be too better than u expect right?
Dunno,if you think this is right or not.
But this is my opinion.

It's going to be really interesting; since I have a really basic "newbie" understanding of things from what I saw with working with the aforementioned individual when I was working at a haunt two years ago, and what I gathered from watching IndyMogul years who when that was still active.  The most I've ever done on my own was a generic zombie makeup look on a zero dollar budget with some leftover spirit gum I had from some prosthetic I bought, a poorly done (and super fake) dummy to do a fake hanging, and an attempt to do an eye gouging effect (al a Night of the Demons) with acrylic paint, stage blood, and grapes. Yeah, super weird and overly ambitious for a 13 year old.

But needless to say, it's going to be really cool to learn some tricks of the trade if she's on board for the project. We're both fairly twisted individuals, so I'm sure the outcome is going to be fun to see in the end.

Offline A. Baez

• Twisted
  • suh
    • CAT 4 COLLECTIVE
« Reply #8 on: February 29, 2016, 11:04:38 PM »
Be subtle with it tho... Don't glorify the guts and gore! Unless thats what you are trying to do... you shoot it right, you get the right sounds and editing... along with story the shittiest gore, twisted paper and latex will haunt someone...
Support Indie & Bizarre Horror

Offline JethroClemson

• Mister Mental
  • Twisted
« Reply #9 on: February 29, 2016, 11:21:18 PM »
Be subtle with it tho... Don't glorify the guts and gore! Unless thats what you are trying to do... you shoot it right, you get the right sounds and editing... along with story the shittiest gore, twisted paper and latex will haunt someone...

Understood.

Offline JethroClemson

• Mister Mental
  • Twisted
« Reply #10 on: March 01, 2016, 01:27:24 PM »
A newbie and experienced talent working together, certainly sounds a amazing experience if you ask me.
But in the end, its all about the director and his perception anyway.

The friend I mentioned in the original post will be co-directing it with me, and we've been bouncing ideas off each other when we tried to have a small table read for what I have so far a few days ago. He's also the one who said he has ideas for places we can film the more critical scenes (and thankfully one is pretty much perfect for what I need), and now I'm just waiting to hear back from him if he got the thumbs up to film at one location in particular for some sequences.

This is going to be especially interesting for me, since I think of myself as being the socially awkward type with some less than great self-esteem issues. So that being said, it will be different to be in an environment where I'm sure being different and having so many ideas might be praised, rather than shunned.

Offline JethroClemson

• Mister Mental
  • Twisted
« Reply #11 on: March 02, 2016, 01:52:08 PM »
Well in that case, am sure you guys could come up with something more twisted, that you both and rest of us fans would certainly enjoy and remember.

Thanks, man. :)

Offline GCharles

• Twisted
« Reply #12 on: March 02, 2016, 10:37:07 PM »
Depending on the effect you're going for, you can use chopped meat drenched in fake blood. You can use liver drenched in fake blood... Lighting is ultra important to hide the meat you're using. With lighting, make it good, but always go a little brighter, you can darken in post, you can't really lighten in post.

If you plan on cutting into skin, you really need a special effects person to make you (or learn yourself) how to create that flat latex skin type material.

Plan your shots for maximum effect. Sound effects in post are extremely important. Good Luck.

Offline JethroClemson

• Mister Mental
  • Twisted
« Reply #13 on: March 04, 2016, 03:08:52 PM »
Depending on the effect you're going for, you can use chopped meat drenched in fake blood. You can use liver drenched in fake blood... Lighting is ultra important to hide the meat you're using. With lighting, make it good, but always go a little brighter, you can darken in post, you can't really lighten in post.

If you plan on cutting into skin, you really need a special effects person to make you (or learn yourself) how to create that flat latex skin type material.

Plan your shots for maximum effect. Sound effects in post are extremely important. Good Luck.

Thanks, man.

I'm a little worried about lighting issues for one of the shots, since it's going to be filmed in a room where that can be hard to get right (such as a cellar or basement). I think the guy who is directing it with me has the same concerns, but might have a trick or two up his sleeve. We're also waiting to hear back from that special effects person I mentioned previously. He messaged her something about it last night for me, since I'm the nervous type who doesn't want to come off too strong. So if all goes well, we could work something out. One of the things for me that would suck is if a lot of work goes into specific details, and they aren't noticed by the viewer.

No worries sir, hope the movie gets released sooner.

Thanks.  8) I'm hoping to work out one of the next scenes over the coarse of a few days, and forward it to my bud to look over to see what he thinks. It's such a pipe dream, but it would be amazing to see this get somewhere by the end of the year (or even the summer).

Offline JethroClemson

• Mister Mental
  • Twisted
« Reply #14 on: March 05, 2016, 04:04:57 PM »
Also, how do you deal with overcoming anxiety and confidence issues (if you dealt with that) as a first time director? I spoke to my buddy about this, and he's a bit nervous too, but said we'll lean on each other for support so we don't get stuck "in the headlights". While that does make me feel somewhat better, it still worries me a bit--especially with this being the first set I'll be working on, and the change of pace might be really different for me.