Member Panel

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Recent Topics

Boar {2018} Chris Sun
by CountOrlok
[Today at 07:23:53 AM]
Post The Last Movie You Watched
by CountOrlok
[Today at 07:10:34 AM]
Circus Of The Dead (2014) "The Circus Is Coming...Hide!"
by splat
[Yesterday at 07:15:13 PM]
~ The Mario Bava Appreciation Thread ~
by CountOrlok
[Yesterday at 08:05:28 AM]
A Message from Chris Sun
by woodenheart
[May 24, 2019, 03:26:50 AM]
Once Upon A Time In Hollywood ~ Quentin Tarantino's 9th Film
by Mayvmi
[May 23, 2019, 11:52:57 PM]
The Nightingale
by CountOrlok
[May 23, 2019, 01:59:24 AM]
Favourite Star Wars 'rip-offs'
by CountOrlok
[May 22, 2019, 07:09:34 AM]
A Serbian Film (2010)
by CountOrlok
[May 20, 2019, 09:32:07 PM]
Playground {2016}
by Lenox
[May 19, 2019, 10:36:48 PM]
Adam Chaplin (2011)
by Lenox
[May 19, 2019, 12:15:26 AM]
RONDO
by woodenheart
[May 18, 2019, 12:15:06 PM]
Zombi Holocaust (1980)
by splat
[May 17, 2019, 11:02:18 PM]
Torment ~April 13th to May 11th Pre~Order then it goes OOP!
by Mayvmi
[May 16, 2019, 09:11:13 PM]
Midsommar {2019}
by Lenox
[May 16, 2019, 12:18:15 PM]

Author Topic: Mayvmi's List  (Read 38664 times)

Offline Mayvmi

• GORE WHORE
  • EHC Moderator
  • Demented
  • 28:06:42:12
    • Reviews
Re: Mayvmi's List
« Reply #90 on: January 15, 2018, 02:26:28 AM »
Hounds of Love (2016)
Director: Ben Young
Initial release: June 1, 2017
Watched: August 31, 2017

Plot: 7 / 10
Acting: 10 / 10
Gore: 7 / 10
Cinematography: 10 / 10
Overall: 8.5 / 10

WARNING! Possible spoilers.

This is yet another film I thought I already wrote a review for, but here I am. The plot is based on true events, the closest being the Moorhouse murders, with David John Birnie and Catherine Margaret Birnie. It follows a couple and their kidnapping and torture of a young girl who snuck out of her house to go to a party. For the most part, I mean right until the end of the movie, the movement of the plot was realistic. The ending events were the only collection of scenes that were excessively artistic in timing for dramatic effect. It did not negatively effect the film however.

The acting was phenomenal from all characters. The man was sadistic and creepy and manipulative and the woman was lost and broken but just as responsible. The young girl, Vicky, was amazing as well. Both the women were phenomenal, watery eyed and abused in different ways.

A lot of the abuse was actually not shown, but it worked so well for the film. It left a lot up to the imagination, even down to the sound. The main scene of violence was actually completely silent followed by a closed door, leaving Vicky's screaming and upcoming terror completely reliant on your own worst thoughts.

The cinematography was amazing along with the color choices. The colors were muted and dull. There was a lot of slow motion effects and distorted sounds, showcasing children playing and people just living their lives, making it even more disturbing that the couple could the neighbors next door. Beautifully shot film.

Offline Mayvmi

• GORE WHORE
  • EHC Moderator
  • Demented
    • Reviews
« Reply #91 on: January 28, 2018, 08:37:48 PM »
Flesh of the Void (2017)
Director: James Quinn
Initial release: ?
Watched: January 28, 2018 (Screener)

Plot: 8 / 10
Acting: 8 / 10
Gore: 10 / 10
Cinematography: 10 / 10
Overall: 9 / 10

I am so happy I got to watch this before it was released, because not only am I definitely going to add it to my collection, I'll probably buy a bunch of other merchandise with it, hoping for posters! Flesh of the Void is directed by James Quinn and is to be released by Black Lava Entertainment hopefully sometime this year. The film was split into Act I, II, and III, with a prologue, interlude and epilogue. Loved how it was done all around. The scenes included a lot of disturbing elements, including murder and rape. Even though the different acts all had a theme that depicted very different actions, it still flowed seamlessly. Definitely due to the style of shooting and editing. The voice over in the beginning is perfect, the voice and words set the tone for the rest of the film.

There was no dialogue and honestly no way of knowing if some of the figures were played by the same people, but some special mentions would have to go to the topless woman holding the scythe, and the mummified man about halfway through the film, spotted again when a young girl was convulsing on the floor. The masks were amazing, especially the little girl with the twisted arms and the mini mask on her actual mask. I have a weakness for gas masks as well, so loved that.

There were many different scenes each with their own unique disturbing elements. Towards the beginning there was a scene with a young boys audio, pleading and crying. They even had a "vomit gore" scene that I enjoyed a lot, I love vomit gore outside of Lucifer Valentine's obvious trilogy. Multiple scenes of masturbation, multiple scenes of graphic male nudity. There was even a scene of a nun masturbating with a cross, but it was more erotic than the Exorcist (1973) considering the woman wasn't a 12 year old girl. There was also a scene towards the end where a guy is getting stabbed and includes a sick stab up his throat with blood seeping into the bag covering his face.

Everything about the visuals screams Begotten (1990), but as you watch you'll notice this film carries a completely different vibe to it. Even though the visuals are similar, the film as a whole is way more captivating in my opinion. You really don't want to be distracted or miss a second of it.  Would definitely watch again, recommend, and support as much as I can when it's released.

Offline Mayvmi

• GORE WHORE
  • EHC Moderator
  • Demented
    • Reviews
« Reply #92 on: February 06, 2019, 02:24:19 AM »
American Guinea Pig: Song of Solomon (2017)
Director: Stephen Biro
Initial release: May 8, 2018
Watched: July 13, 2018

Plot: 9 / 10
Acting: 9 / 10
Gore: 9 / 10
Cinematography: 9 / 10

First I must say the experience of getting to watch this in an actual theater, and not in my living room hoping nobody disturbs me, was wonderful. It was cool to see so much support out in the open. Possession movies have been done to death, with very few setting themselves apart from the vast majority of them, Song of Solomon being part of the few. What better way to spice up a film about the possession of a woman than to make her give birth to the Antichrist during the Exorcism? First priest do a shitty job and end up getting himself killed? Send in another one. He suck too? Send another only to have him end up fucking the woman. It's these kinds of decisions that made Song of Solomon a one of a kind possession film.

The acting was amazing for the majority of the characters. The weak link was obvious, and actually laughed at a bit during the Q&A after the showing, poor guy. The possessed woman, Mary, was brilliant. Her intensity was believable and she had an amazing presence on the screen. It's easy to look cheesy while trying to be creepy, especially when there is singing involved, but she was perfectly disturbing and disgusting. Her singing of the song matched the atmosphere of the blood soaked room. It was nice to see Gene Palubicki's face again after AGP: Bloodshock (2015). I feel his performance in this film was much stronger. The other priests were good as well.

There was plenty of blood and other bodily fluids to go around. Of course, my first mention is the vomit scene. The effects were perfect and the sound effects were unsettling. The only complaint I would have for the scene would be that it took WAY too long. The vomiting and swallowing of her innards had to have lasted several minutes, or at least it felt like it. It seemed like the shot was non edited time-wise, as if they used the entire footage instead of trimming some of the fat. It was memorable though. There were a couple scenes with plenty of blood and eyeballs spilling, as well as Satan-spawn semen. The shock factor was there and used adequately.

The production quality was obviously higher for this film than that of the previous films of AGP. Clear footage, clear sound, top notch effects. Nice angles and shot choices, overall a good little peak at the gore and depravity of indie extreme horror.

Offline Mayvmi

• GORE WHORE
  • EHC Moderator
  • Demented
    • Reviews
« Reply #93 on: February 06, 2019, 03:02:35 AM »
American Guinea Pig: Sacrifice (2017)
Director: Poison Rouge
Initial release: March 1, 2017
Watched: September 22, 2018

Plot: 6 / 10
Acting: 7 / 10
Gore: 9 / 10
Cinematography: 7 / 10
Overall: 7.25 / 10

Pretty simple plot; a man mutilates himself in a bathroom for a long time with various tools to appease this goddess. Not a lot of settings as he spends the majority of his time in the bathroom and bathtub. There are cuts to this lovely little beach in between scenes every once in a while and at the end. Probably the most interesting part of the plot was the end with the appearance of the goddess.

The man was pretty good. His agony seemed realistic and his voice over didn't get annoying.

Excellent effects throughout the entire thing! Blood was beautiful and his injuries looked legit. I seriously thought to myself before I watched the film that I was going to be severely disappointed if there was no dick mutilation. I mean come on, after reading that the entire film was going to be self-torture of an almost nude man for more than an hour.. he's got to touch his dick sometime. Was not disappointed.

Good camera quality, especially for those closeups and beach shots. Probably wouldn't rewatch this very often, I'd give it at least a year before I do. It wasn't spectacular by any means but it didn't feel like a waste either. The gore category is why this film's rating is as high as it is.

Overall: 7.25 / 10

Offline Mayvmi

• GORE WHORE
  • EHC Moderator
  • Demented
    • Reviews
« Reply #94 on: February 13, 2019, 01:41:57 AM »
Brutal (2017)
Director: Takashi Hirose
Initial release: December 11, 2018
Watched: February 12, 2019

Plot: 7 / 10
Acting: 9 / 10
Gore: 10 / 10
Cinematography: 8 / 10

The film did not waste any time getting into it. Basically, the film is split into three parts/chapters; "Man", "Woman, and "Man and Woman". The man is about, well, a man. He brutally murders women while announcing that nobody understands why he does the things he does. The woman brutally murders men, with heavy emphasis on mutilating the genitals. The man and woman happen to meet in the end and try to kill each other. The man then disrobes himself revealing his genital area with his penis removed, and disrobes the woman but realizes that she too had her genitals along with her nipples removed. After about 5 minutes of crying, they continue to stab each other until both are "dead". But in the end, the woman wakes up and holds her belly, feeling a heart beat. So the motive was interesting how they connected it to sexual nature, or lack there of with both the characters. I personally thought the ending was a little weak. Both the people sustained severe injuries and I don't think either one of them should have survived. Plus the addition of possible pregnancy kind of ruined it for me. It was a fun little watch though, running just over an hour.

The actors were amazing. All the victims screamed and cried and died beautifully. The woman was sincere and not corny when she would talk to her self, keeping a blank face rather than trying to look crazy, which is a mistake I think a lot of actors make. I find the blank nothingness more sinister. I was confused at the purpose of the couple, or guy and girl that would converse in between the long kill scenes. The first mention of them in the store made sense because of the statement about men and strength, leading you to believe that was probably one of the reasons the man killed. The man that tried to kill the woman in her chapter was a little random? Like he just happened to know she killed all those men and tried to fix the problem himself? But overall, the actors worked.

Plenty of blood, guts, meat, and bones. Not only did three girls get savagely beaten or stabbed to death within the first ten minutes, their bodies were also hacked, cooked, and poured down the toilet. First woman, beaten to death. Second woman, throat cut tot he bone for trying to escape. And of course the third woman, who offered sex in exchange for her life, was stabbed in the vagina 100 times and had her jaw clamped shut with a long nail through the bottom of her neck/chin. Two more moan were stabbed to death. The woman had her fair share of genital mutilation, showcasing several men being seduced then stabbed to death. The man and woman killers scene together was more beating and stabbing, not any more or less brutal than the previous murders. Pretty high body count for a 67 minute film. The blood was pretty nice, although some of the injuries looked as if they should've been worse, such as more bruises for the beatings and more blood for some of the cuts.

The film was a little shaky and a filter was definitely used on every frame, but it worked for the film. The gritty feeling of the footage added a sense of dirtiness to it, which really made the film feel gross.

Offline Mayvmi

• GORE WHORE
  • EHC Moderator
  • Demented
    • Reviews
« Reply #95 on: March 11, 2019, 05:03:13 AM »
Luciferina (2018)
Director: Gonzalo Calzada
Initial release: March 15, 2018
Watched: November 12, 2018

Plot: 8 / 10
Acting: 7 / 10
Gore: 8 / 10
Cinematography: 9 / 10
Overall: 8 / 10

The story begins with two sisters who are polar opposites, the main girl who is a nun and the second sister who seems to have gone down the wrong path. They recently experienced the death of their mother, leaving their father bedridden in a state of shock and silence. The nun returns home to help with their dying father. We meet the troubled sister's boyfriend and group of friends pretty early, which end up being the group that go to a mysterious island in search of some magic plant that will allow them to leave their bodies without dying. It's pretty obvious at this point that the plot will involve some demonic entity, if not the devil himself, spoiler alert. Things turn ugly once the group finds the shaman who they believe will lead them to these drugs. They take turns drinking something from the shaman and begin to have severe reactions. Visions of black mass and her sister pregnant are the first realization that this quest was a mistake. Some turn up dead and the nun soon faces a fight with the devil himself. The nun, with the help of an old woman on the island, discover the deal with the devil her father had made, and must try to fight to free her soul. The sisters involvements in the ritual were directly responsible for the events that occurred. This made the plot better than most possession and demon films; the fact that this duel with the devil would not have come upon just anyone, but the sisters that were involved in a unknown deal years ago.

The acting was amazing from the nun, and I was surprised to not find more films she was involved in. The sister and boyfriend, along with the friends were good as well, although nothing special.

The blood and disturbing elements were amazing as well. Some of the first instances were bloody empty eye sockets where the young friends eyes were gouged out. The first appearance of the devil came accompanied by ripping the shaman's head from his shoulders. The final fight with the nun and the devil included some blood as well as other fluids that lead to the ending consequence.

Grateful that this film was shared with me because it's from Argentina. The film was shot very artistically, with some scenes reminding me of famous paintings of angels and demons. They most likely drew inspiration from them. Some cool effects were used when the effects of the drink started to take effect on the group. There was one scene in which the blinding light was a little too bright and kind of blew out the picture. Not sure if exposure was the issue that could have been fixed in editing or if that was the purpose of that shot. But overall, very beautifully filmed.

Overall: 8 / 10

Recommended by woodenheart